The Best of 2010
Well, perhaps not the BEST of 2010, but these twenty records are among our recent favorites, have been in heavy rotation for quite a while. Here goes, in random order:
* ELLERY ESKELIN & GERRY HEMINGWAY – Inbetween Spaces (Auricle Records) Two masters of their respective instruments exploring possibilities.
* CLARE COOPER – Hammeriver (Mikroton)
Very strong debut by harpist Cooper, dedicated to Alice Coltrane.
* THE VANDERMARK 5 SPECIAL EDITION – The Horse Jumps And The Ship Is Gone (NotTwo) Expanded Chicago stalwart stretches out and confirms its stature as one of the best bands around.
* IRENE SCHWEIZER TRIO & DEWAN MOTIHAR TRIO – Jazz Meets India (MPS) A real discovery, this 1967 recording. World jazz before it existed!
* HENRY THREADGILL ZOOID – This Brings Us To, Volume II (Pi Recordings) Another highlight by one of the most interesting bands Threadgill has ever led. Cutting edge, innovative, endlessly fascinating.
* ANGLES – Epileptical West – Live In Coimbra (Clean Feed)
Passionate & political, energetic & beautfiul. This album is many things, but above all a fantastic live recording.
* CHRIS LIGHTCAP’S BIGMOUTH – Deluxe (Clean Feed) Stellar line-up (Cleaver, Taborn, Speed, Malaby, D’Angelo, Lightcap), stellar record.
* JOSHUA ABRAMS – Natural Information (Eremite) LP only release by one of the most interesting bass players/composers of the moment.
* STEPHEN HAYNES – Parrhesia (Engine Records)
Freely improvised, elegant & very creative. With Joe Morris & Warren Smith.
* MIKE PRIDE’S FROM BACTERIA TO BOYS – Betweenwhile (AUM Fidelity) Impressive quartet, led by drumming maverick Mike Pride, who displays a surprisingly subtle grasp of jazz history.
* DAVID S. WARE – Onecept (AUM Fidelity) Still going strong – a perfect accompaniment to the earlier solo album.
* ADAM LANE’S FULL THROTTLE ORCHESTRA – Ashcan Rantings (Clean Feed) Double album by one of the leading bass players of today, surrounded by a wonderful band. Strong compositions, colorful playing.
* HARRIS EISENSTADT – Woodblock Prints (NoBusiness)
One of this year’s surprises. Jazz meets chamber music. Beautiful!
* UNDIVIDED – The Passion (Multikuli)
Winner of the ‘Happy New Ears Award’. Fascinating genrebending!
* DAWN OF MIDI – First (Accretions)
Minimal and beautiful. A trio to watch out for.
*CATHERINE CHRISTER HENNIX – The Electric Harpsichord (Die Schachtel) Received a race review in the Wire, and it was justied. Unique music and exquisite packaging.
* FREE JAZZ QUARTET – Memories For The Future (Matchless)
1992 recording by a legendary Birtish Quartet w/ Paul Rutherford.
* BRETRAM TURETZKY, GEORGE LEWIS & VINNIE GOLIA – Triangulation II (Kadima) Largely ignored, but subtle and very nice meeting of three likeminded spirits.
* JASON STEIN’S LOCKSMITH ISIDORE – Three Kinds Of Happiness (NotTwo) Bass clarinet master forging the old & the new, with Jason Roebke & Mike Pride.
* JOHN BUTCHER & CLAUDIA ULLA BINDER – Under The Roof (Nuscope) Saxophone & piano, but not as you know them. A remarkable & unique way of making music on display.